Program Manager – UCP 7 School of Engineering UTC Institute for Advanced Systems Engineering
Under the general direction of the Director of the UTC Institute for Advanced Systems Engineering (UTC-IASE), the Program Manger provides leadership, program management and coordination for the research, outreach and educational programs designed to support the UTC-IASE and specifically its operations and formal archiving and reporting, research opportunities identification, outreach and industry engagement services, and industry service.
Incumbents in this position are expected to be responsible for designing and managing research and educational programs, for the smooth operations of the day-to-day delivery of these programs, for monitoring and coordinating the administrative and reporting aspects of the program, and are expected to act independently within the goals and objectives of the program and the guidelines established by the supervisor. The primary focus of this job is on the design, organization, implementation and management of the research and outreach programs of the UTC-IASE, and management of the day-to-day delivery of its industry services.
Characteristic Duties and Responsibilities:
- Plans and implements UTC-IASE services and activities and supervises the day-to-day delivery of program content.
- Directs the day-to-day operations and administration of the UTC-IASE program; oversees program coordination and logistics; resolves problems and makes changes to accommodate changing priorities and needs.
- Reports monthly to the UTC-IASE governing committee on the progress of the Institute and all other developments.
- Is responsible for special projects/operations which may be on-going or short-term and which require planning, coordination, supervision, and thorough knowledge of the program.
- Is responsible for the compliance of project with relevant export control and confidentiality agreements.
- Provides administrative and program leadership for complex research or academic strategic initiatives designed to support the UTC-IASE research and industry outreach activities.
- Identifies research opportunities in industry and federal agencies and organizes teams to respond to industry and federal agency research calls.
- Coordinates preparation of large proposals involving multiple faculty, departments and/or other universities.
- May participate in securing funding for the program.
- Serves as a resource to faculty and staff on matters relating to strategic initiatives.
- Assesses the unmet educational needs of the industry and makes recommendations to the governing committee to meet those needs.
- Participates in planning, developing, designing, and evaluating customized programs based on identified needs and goals.
- Plans, administers, and oversees the organization of workshops and course offerings in accordance with UTC-IASE goals; creates the program calendar with the Director and participating faculty members; oversees the coordination of logistics.
- Leads public relations and promotional activities for the program; implements recruiting, promotional, and marketing strategies to identify corporate and individual participants; designs brochures, flyers, posters, and other promotional materials.
- Oversees the planning, organization, and execution of corporate networking events, conferences, and other meetings.
- Serves as a resource to potential and current program participants, corporations, state agencies, and other organizations and individuals on matters related to the Institute’s program policies, procedures, and activities.
- Establishes and maintains partnerships and engagement with industry and governmental contacts.
- Manages critical communications, both internal and external.
- Master’s degree in discipline appropriate to the program to be served and at least 2 years relevant experience.
- Experience with coordination of University industrial projects (research or educational).
- Thorough knowledge of, and demonstrated competence in, developing industry engagement and partnerships.
- Experience with academic programs/projects creation or generation
- Ability to plan and organize workshops and outreach networking events appropriate to program to be served.
- Demonstrated ability to independently design and implement programs, identify and resolve day-to-day program problems.
- Good organizational and supervisory skills.
- Good interpersonal skills and ability to work effectively with faculty, staff, students, administrators as well as external agencies/groups and the public.
- Outstanding written and oral communication skills.
- Ability to resolve complex or unusual problems.
- Demonstrated ability to lead large, complex projects to successful completion adhering to established deadlines.
- Experience in industry funded academic programs
- Experience in reporting in a quantifiable manner of the planning and closing of actions and programmatic status updates
- Experience or involvement with industry related to systems engineering
- Exposure and relationships with the Systems Engineering community and in particular INCOSE
- Experience in development and management of graduate curriculum
- Experience in the administration of distance learning courses
- Experience in social media and online advertisement of academic activities
- Experience in industry engagement and outreach activities.
This is a full-time, 12-month position with an excellent benefits package.
Please apply online at www.jobs.uconn.edu. For full consideration, please upload a cover letter, resume and the names and contact information for three professional references. Review of applications will begin immediately. Please include the search number XXXX with all correspondences. Employment of the successful candidate will be contingent upon the successful completion of a pre-employment criminal background check. (Search # XXXX)
This job posting is scheduled to be removed at 11:59 p.m. Eastern time on December 25, 2017.
All employees are subject to adherence to the State Code of Ethics which may be found at http://www.ct.gov/ethics/site/default.asp.
The University of Connecticut is committed to building and supporting a multicultural and diverse community of students, faculty and staff. The diversity of students, faculty and staff continues to increase, as does the number of honors students, valedictorians and salutatorians who consistently make UConn their top choice. More than 100 research centers and institutes serve the University’s teaching, research, diversity, and outreach missions, leading to UConn’s ranking as one of the nation’s top research universities. UConn’s faculty and staff are the critical link to fostering and expanding our vibrant, multicultural and diverse University community. As an Affirmative Action/Equal Employment Opportunity employer, UConn encourages applications from women, veterans, people with disabilities and members of traditionally underrepresented populations.